Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Elemental

The light singed me in its radiant heat. The slow press upon me racked me with every moment. I sighed, another normal day. She and I had been traveling for a while now. Or at least that's what I saw, the road never changed and our destination never seemed the nearer. But still we travelled, and she assured me we were going to place that would suddenly appear when we had arrived. I didn't mind the walking, but what I did mind was how nothing happened. I fought and strove, cried and sweat, and no destination was reached. No achievement made.

It was always upon me now, and it had brought a companion. It seemed that before me stood the test of endurance. And even as the things worked together to break me she ever ministered to my wounds and needs. It wasn't impossible, it was just incredibly frustrating. How could I choose any more than I had? I would not allow myself to buckle into doubts and fears. No more despair, not if I could help it.

But I couldn't stop the depression. My road was black as pitch and I could only see because of her. The food she gave me tasted like medicine and simultaneously made me strong and weak. It was as if my determination grew as my body was worn down. I could no longer distinguish night from day nor did the ground change from hard rock. "You're going to have to get wet." She said matter of factly. I groaned, we had talked of this many times. I just knew, somehow it was going to be like dying. But... this road would continue forever if I did not consent to the necessary water death.

And before me the ground rolled up like a scroll and we stood on the banks of a pond. It wasn't like I wasn't wet already, soaked to my marrows from the ever present rain. But this water was different, it was going soak me in something utterly alien to me. I only hope that there is room in this husk for more others. I ignored the frantic clawing of the things and hobbled into the pond. I nodded at her, do it.

It was as if a mountain stood on my body, pressing me hard into her arms. The water swirled around me continually rushing past me. Washing me. Then the pond stilled and the pressure lifted, and in the silence I felt my stomach fill with a smoldering heat. The flame spread, slowly infiltrating all of me. It was then I noticed my puppet strings to be severed. But the flame didn't stop, it escalated exponentially inside of me. Burning all dark things. And when the fire had reached the point of being unbearable I was pulled out.

The things were still for now, and the rain had stopped even though the sky was still black. The land was no longer veiled and the light did not hurt so much. Somehow I had a sword in my hand and a shield was strapped to my back. Blinking away tears, and being filled with something new, but so very good. I had hope, and I was the Phoenix. I had been reborn.

Dt

2 comments:

Laedelas Greenleaf said...

"It wasn't impossible, it was just incredibly frustrating." Good line.

(Isn't the Phoenix a female? Or am I confusing two things?)

The Stranger said...

^_^, a phoenix is a symbol of rebirth. The bird that died only to leave an egg in the ashes of its dying flames, and within the egg lay the embryo phoenix ready to be born anew.

About Me

My photo
If you don't already know me, you don't need to know. If you know me then you already know. You will find only my thoughts in this blog, hopefully you will also think.