Monday, May 5, 2008

On the Fence

"You can't stay there forever." She said calmly. I grimaced. The fence, the great barrier, it was seemingly impassable. Of course she was able to pass through it without a problem. But I had issues. The sides of the fence rose up in front of me appearing to scrape the sky. It was made of ice and spikes, slippery as oil, cutting like blades. If this was my only obstacle then I supposed it would have been manageable. However there was always more.

The ever present squall surged with renewed vigor, weighting my every movement with immense pressure. And the lightning struck the structure's metal and charging it with its current. Ice, metal, and electricity all around me as I climbed. If these were my only enemies then perhaps I still would have arrived. Yet, there was another.

It. Ever present, always hungry, tearing, clawing, choking, and pulling me apart. It screamed and raged at me even as it crooned and called to me. Whenever I was ready to just give in and fall to my doom, she would call and lend me strength. So I climbed the fence, and scaled its horrific heights. If only I truly had hope this would work, it is my only option and hope seems too difficult. So I merely do, work without hope.

When the storm seemed its strongest, when the fence swayed and bucked with the wind, and when it rent into me with hatred, at that moment I reached the top. It was the most dangerous time yet. The edge of the fence was thin like a blade and barbed with ruthless thorns. I soon found it was envenomed and the lightning fell most there. I had to choose, I had to move, to stay was certain death.

But the poison made me weak, and my hands could barely move from all the frost and cuts upon them. All my limbs were shocked and stiff, and my head felt torn asunder. Even then, in the moment of greatest pain, despair, and torment I knew I deserved more. Part of me wanted to be punished, to bear the penalty of my crimes. Yet I knew I had to continue, even if He wouldn't take me I had to know if it was possible... even with the longest odds there was still a small chance.

When I looked down I saw her kneeling, and for the first time I knelt. As best I could on the blade before me, I knelt and beseeched for aid. It was easier going down than climbing up. She smiled at me and I fainted into her arms. And in the dreamless darkness I knew my path was no longer certainly fixed for a coffin, but was it assuredly going to the sky? I did not yet know.

Dt

2 comments:

Laedelas Greenleaf said...

Sooooo...I'm guessing these are all installments of the same story?

The Stranger said...

you'd be right.

About Me

My photo
If you don't already know me, you don't need to know. If you know me then you already know. You will find only my thoughts in this blog, hopefully you will also think.