Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Shock of all Shocks!

Greetings all from Virginia! I, the Stranger, have found a place where there are few(er) ways in which I stick out! O_O It's rather odd (and on account of its oddness more correct)! I've only been down here a few weeks but I already have labels here are a few (for some kicks), Social Butterfly, Energizer Bunny, Absolutely Insane (footnote, but still loved), and the Man with No Shame. All of these nicknames come to my unending delight which only further aggravate the desires of the other students to SO name me. My sister wasn't kidding when she said that the College wouldn't know what hit them when I arrived, mwaha.



Despite the rigorous student honor code, statement of faith, and other various beliefs and regulations all students must conform to there are a LOT of differences among the believers here. There has been a "major" upset in the student government on account of a highly controversial act of the Student President. Jeff, our President, spoke at our first chapel. He said some VERY moving words... the only thing is he ALSO used an expletive as a Rhetorical device (an extremely effective one) to prove a point. Well, incredibly long story short Dr. Walker, the President of the College, has removed Jeff's powers as Student President but not his title. Neither of those actions are (technically) within Dr. Walker's authority to do. In a nut shell, it has turned into what just about every somewhat controversial affair can turn into in a highly political and intellectually charged area. It has turned into a political war between (most) of the students and Dr. Walker. Just today an underground journal "The Eggplant" was dropped in the dinning hall which satirically lambasted Dr. Walker (along with other issues) to the laughter of the students. My question, why does it have to be so potentially divisive? The general sage answer, because the College is what it is, Christian, political, and a beacon. Who is in the right? No one is entirely sure, all everyone knows is that both Jeff and Dr. Walker want desperately to do what is right.


This is after a guys soccer game against some school (we lost). Apparently we still have school spirit, *ra ra shish boom ba*
Lake Bob and one of the weeping willows that I like to sit near.
The SEAL.

The sky down here in VA is just... so gorgeous. I rarely want to go inside around sunset, much to the amusement of just about any passing student. They watch me quizzically as I make strange noises like "nenne! MMmmm! Bu- Sun! AH! Class bu- *grumble*"

All is more than less well, devotions are like gold, fellowship silver, and just about every moment becomes cherished in one way or another. I only hope that what seems difficult but possible now doesn't change to flailing later, but I shall hope in God for I will again praise Him. Rejoice my friends! I feel like Anne of Green Gables, this whole college is more or less like my kindred spirit and the presence of God is strong with me. What can man (or homework) do to me?

Dt

PS.

SHOCK OF ALL SHOCKS! I posted!

7 comments:

Jason said...

"Social Butterfly, Energizer Bunny, Absolutely Insane (footnote, but still loved), and the Man with No Shame"

Trying to decide which is my favorite... probably the last one. Didn't take long, did it? (Then again, by definition of the moniker, it couldn't.)

So, do you know the whole college by now? (Or do they all know you? Perhaps that might come first.)

R.Hall said...

Proximity! sweet.

Now, what did you mean by there are few(er) ways you stick out?

Madison said...

Glad to see you are enjoying yourself. The willow and sunset, sounds gorgeous. So many cherished ones have used such images one has to wonder if there is something in the undercurrent of human nature...

The Stranger said...

@ Jason

No, it didn't take long. And no, I don't know the whole college (but a lot of people know me).

@ Towropes

Well, a lot more people are vibrantly insane here than back home. Also, just about everyone adores books and talks about strange things (in stranger ways) all the time. But I'm still "special".

@ Madison

The undercurrent from a more sublime origin or the undercurrent which tows us deeper down?

Dt

Madison said...

A positive undercurrent. Some type of shared ancient memory perhaps. A tree...well you know how that goes. ;)

Anonymous said...

Yes, the Man With No Shame!!!
Damn, sad to hear about such disturbances, but not truly surprised. Glad to know the students won't just take it though. I imagine it's frustrating for all involved. Though I don't know exactly what he said, if it was something like the F--- word then I would have a hard time justifying its use but otherwise...

The scenery is absolutely pulchritudinous! I want to see more pictures (although is it wise to post pix of the seal and such markers which can be used to positively identify your location?).

The Stranger said...

@ Empyre

If indeed someone with the resources to find me wanted to (as in, someone who I would fear finding me) they would need far less than I would be able to hide. But I get your point, I am no subversive agent and (as of yet) have little to fear.

DT

About Me

My photo
If you don't already know me, you don't need to know. If you know me then you already know. You will find only my thoughts in this blog, hopefully you will also think.