Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Defense (Part 2)

They did not. Once again we retired from battle, triumphant and tired. I saw to the wounds of the others and they saw to mine. And again the horn sounded. When the moles came we felt some dismay, but when the wolves approached we knew we were in over our heads. “Engineers!” called the captain, “we need fire. Dismantle all your devices immediately.” And it was so. Wolves they were called for they were dangerous alone or working as one. They were proficient in the blade but it was not this we feared, and they were more than many, and we were still few. “A power approaches,” said the watchman, “he seeks the captain’s life.” “Form the line and buckle your shields together.” Were the captain’s orders, he seemed nonplussed by the watchman’s observation and we knew he feared it not. This was a battle proper, and as the wolves met us blow for blow we suspected the power close. Even I felt it, and my brothers called me blind in this. The wolves howl, and the moles whisper, but a power does not let his voice be heard. When the wolf before me fell I scanned their midst to pick out the power. “His presence is near, but I see him not!” Said I, and suddenly I realized. I scanned the heavens and then I saw the power and his steed swooping towards us. I recognized his dark Pegasus as the former horse of a fallen comrade. “Archers!” I yelled, “Sweep the sky!” Their arrows hounded after him wherever he flew but he flew fast and dodged well. Soon the arrows were spent and the power bore few injuries from them. But I had not the time to watch for the wolves were howling before us. No matter how I turned or what manner of fighting I used I could not move from my place. I then grasped the sum of our situation, the watchmen’s words were the warning and the wolves a portent. The power came to kill our leader and the wolves to hinder aid. I relayed the conclusion down the line and soon the word returned and with it a question, “what shall we do?” The fire, I decided, the fire would have to do. “Light the field!” I answered, and torches were thrown where we had before strewn oil. “Shield wall, forward!” I commanded and we pushed the wolves to burn. They regrouped on the other side of the flames with a vast number of them slain. The odds were still in their favor but they would no longer bind our steps. “In the short reprieve let us all reflect on the alters behind us. How he performed the marvelous works done there, the great mysteries he revealed, and our arming from his hands. We are few yes, but we are more than whatever magic is thrown at us, for his power is deeper still.” The captain spoke the words of our own hearts and calmed our doubts. We moved our fallen to the rear and prepared ourselves for the final melee. Again they approached, and we moved not, again they fought us fiercely, and we moved not, again they howled and turned our blood to ice, and we moved not. As we became the mill that ground the mountain down I saw the power’s steed free of its rider. And knew then my greatest feat was yet to come. I by no means thought myself capable of standing before the power, but perhaps the steed would remember his former master. “Hail old friend,” I said softly, “how came you to be as this?” The Pegasus glared at me in anger. “Whoa there, I mean you no harm.” He snorted in doubt. “Do you know of your rider? He is a power and bends you to his will through bondage. Remember atonement!” The Pegasus lowered his head in shame. And before my eyes the winged horse changed into a winged man. “Say full atonement next time, it works better.” Sarcasm, but his state was an improvement. “Ho there lieutenant, it is good to see you free. Shall we fall upon the power?” Said I, “Indeed we shall, but keep close for I am not as resolute as once I was.” He replied. We came upon the scene of the captain standing before the power. He was firm, but his strength was waning. We came to his aid and fought the power individually for a while. As soon as one of us tired the other came to fight in his place. We kept him occupied without suffering any lasting injury. The three of us soon saw the power fear, for his wolves would howl no more and the company stood against him. The power tried to sway the lieutenant to fly him away; with the power of his presence he pressed him. “You offer me slavery as if it were delightful. Nay!” said the lieutenant. One hundred swords made one, and the One sword cutting past all dark defenses. Thus was he destroyed and all his moles of control, his wolves and mainstay gone and the lost redeemed from his grasp. There, upon the spot of advancement was an alter placed and all our dead were entombed to stand as witness to the victory.

Dt

2 comments:

S.A. Detwiler said...

Interesting, interesting analogy/allegory/very-good-story. I like it a lot. Your language is bright and colorful, your use of the English word-hoard is most admirable.

The Stranger said...

Wow, I'm glad you liked it. I thought I had written it poorly. ^_^

About Me

My photo
If you don't already know me, you don't need to know. If you know me then you already know. You will find only my thoughts in this blog, hopefully you will also think.