Friday, April 11, 2008

A synopsis in thought

Once upon a time, when I attended
a certain college before the
regular age of enrollment, I sat
in the seat of learning in an
English class. My professor

was, as they say, "open-minded"
and accepted any well thought
writing with glee. I wrote many
papers for him (each receiving
perfect, or nearly so) and one
such was a basic approach to
thought. How do people think?
Why do people think the way they do?
Are there unique thought processes?
Etc.

I avoided in large the worldview
aspect of thought (though extremely
important, and in the end decisive

to WHY people think the way they do)
because I was focusing on the mode
of thinking,not the reason.

To get to the point, I divided
all of humanity into groups of people
who share the same mode of thinking.


1.) Those who perceive the world
visually. Not just perception, for
information is taken in by a vast

majority of the population in this
manner, but rather those who more
easily visualize a concept.
For example, those who think in
pictures when attempting to find
a definition to a word and then

describe the word by the picture.

Some of the greatest mathematicians
have been visual thinkers (Euclid
for one, after all he did more or
less invent geometry). But artists
also tend to see things visually,
the ability to manipulate shape in
one's mind is a creatively inspired
trait.


2.) Those who perceive the world
through sound. This set is actually
rather rare, there are few who define
their world by what they hear.
Por exemplo, say you were attempting
to remember how a song's tune goes.
You probably hum what you can
remember or say the words you know
to the song, you are trying to
replicate the song so that it jogs
your memory better. If you turned
this process on its head you would
come up with a sound thinker, one
who instead of using the sound as
the medium between a different mode
of thinking and the end result would
probably remember the song better

and quicker because they are
photographically inclined.


3.) Text based thinking. If you were
an evolutionist you would quibble
that text based thinking should be

rare as writing is too recent an
edition to the human experience.
You would be wrong. Text based
thinking is not rare, but it's not
common either. For the "texter" the
process of cognition is more likened
to either a long line of associations
or a direct logical line.
Strangely, the books of my research
did say that phonographic memory
and sound based thinking were
related, but that texters and
photographic memory were not
necessarily related.


4.) Now, you may be wondering are
there taste thinkers and touch
thinkers? If there are then they
are so rare that my research did
not uncover them. However there is
a fourth category, I call the
blind thinker. So far the mode is
more or less based on one of the
five senses, two in sight and one
in sound. These abilities have one
thing in common, they both can
perceive communication.

I think this is a key to understanding
why we think the way we do, in order
to better communicate. But the blind
thinker may or may not have
communication as his main objective.
For he may ponder on an issue without

actually consciously processing his
thought in one of the more
recognizable modes. And once the
thought has reached the pinnacle of
its discovery then it is translated
from the subconscience to the conscience

using a more or less random mode.


Most people can identify with one
of these modes, but almost everyone
has used each of them at one time

or another. I find that if I ranked
myself on the modes that occured
most often would be thus,

1.) Sound, 2.) blind,
3.) shape, 4.) text.

Sound I use most often (or at
least I remember using it most often)
but I use sound as one might use text.
2nd place was only slightly in
favor of blind because I have a
strong bent towards shape
manipulation but I have to try to
think about shapes, I don't have
to try to blind think. Text just
seems too much like my use of

sound for me to bother, and its
hard to think that way for me.


Dt

2 comments:

Blacksheep said...

what about people who think with their heart? emotional thinkers?

The Stranger said...

Interesting question. I would say that emotions cannot conform to the same basic precepts the other modes do. Because while emotions can be communicated, and they are felt in a wide and descriptive range they do not of themselves form a logical thought. Many people make decisions based on their emotions, even live their lives for them but I do not think that it can be the actual way a person thinks. It seems to me that emotions are a why of thinking, instead of a how.

About Me

My photo
If you don't already know me, you don't need to know. If you know me then you already know. You will find only my thoughts in this blog, hopefully you will also think.