Friday, April 18, 2008

A return, other topics, and a sticky

Westu (insert your name here) hal! No, I'm not of the Rohirrim but I am re-reading the exceedingly great works of Professor J.R.R. Tolkien. And honestly this is the first time I have ever enjoyed it. Now don't get cranky, but they have put me to sleep as surely as a drug in the past. See my new poll, and here are the rules thereof. There is a section for every race of Ambar (the planet yo) that I can think of, by race I mean being of sufficient intelligence to meet my requirements (able to communicate by word or thought, able to create as well as destroy) and there are quite a few. Here is your task, I shall describe in short the basic nature of each race and you will pick no more than two which you think aptly fits me. I also encourage you to comment on which ones fit you the best, or why you chose what you did. I will publish a note with the descriptions as a sticky with the poll.

Dt

5 comments:

Jason said...

I refuse to vote, because for all of your multitudinous choices, you left out most fitting one. My friend, you are Tom Bombadil.

Hey, Lurtz was a movie creation. I love the movies, but you don't need to use a movie creation as your example of an orc.

And [remember to breathe], you never enjoyed the books before?

The Stranger said...

I don't know why Tom slipped my mind! Thanks for the nomination, I rather like Tom Bombadil. And no, I never did like the books before.

S.A. Detwiler said...

Okay, I would have probably gone with Bombadil, too, but he wasn't listed (ever observant Jason).

I voted you as Saruman, not because I consider you evil, but because my comment upon seeing your poll (about yourself and "who am I") was, "David, you're a raging Narcissist" (though I only thought of it because a friend uses this expression, and I did say it with a heap of kind feelings). If you do possess a white robe, I'd side with Gandalf and say I'd rather you not dye it.

I was enthused to see that you used the word Yrch, the true plural of Orc. I thought I was the only one who knew that. I decided that Yrch substitutes beautifully for ouch or some other minced oath.

I am afraid I would be far too biased to say what kind of race I am. I would probably have to stick with being a man, perhaps a Gondorim.

The Stranger said...

Man of Gondor? Hmmm... I'm not quite sure I would put you down as a Gondorian... How about an Elf of the House of Noldor?

S.A. Detwiler said...

Hmmm,finally made it back to this post. I am not a Gondorian, aye? The house of Noldor... ironically, my middle-earth avatar (not the right term) is of the house of Noldor (if my memory serves me right)--- Aranwe II, the son of Voronwe, the son of Aranwe, of the house of Fingolfin.

I almost feel ashamed that I said you reminded me of Saruman--- like I told you in person, I meant Saruman before he turned evil, though that hardly heals the wound. Bombadil fits you best--- you're jovial, eclectic, and mysterious enough to shadow that character.

About Me

My photo
If you don't already know me, you don't need to know. If you know me then you already know. You will find only my thoughts in this blog, hopefully you will also think.